Park the RV & Start a Blog

Having just returned from a two week vacation, this seems as good a time as any to start the blog that's been rattling around in my head for a couple of years. Taking the family through eight states in an RV was a lot of fun, some hassle and a lot of warm fuzzy memories. Here are a couple of lists that might save you some trouble on your next trip!



Best choices we made:

*Brought the dog's crate - became absolutely necessary when we unexpectedly ended up staying in a hotel - we brought it as an afterthought, never thinking we'd really use it.

*Planned to end each day's travel in the late afternoon - this gave us time to get out, let the kids decompress, and we were able to relax and make a decent meal for dinner.

*Upgraded our AAA to a premium membership which included trip insurance - A forty dollar investment that saved us almost $1300.00 after our trip was interrupted by mechanical trouble.



Worst choices we made:

*I completely overestimated our ability to provide activities for the kids while we were on the highway. It turned out that long stretches of the road were as rough as cobblestone, with a few areas of high winds. The RV was jostled about and swayed with each semi truck that blew past. In retrospect, having lots of different things the kids can do while remaining seat belted would be a much better plan.

*Take the dog out before you do anything else. LOL I Learned that the hard way at the end of one tiring day when I made the dog wait while exhausted mama and baby sat and nursed. I spent a half hour scrubbing carpet while my husband was out getting pizza. To my credit, I cleaned up so thoroughly that to this day he has no idea there was a poo problem.

*Brought my kombucha brewing jar - I wanted to be able to have kombucha, but the temp got way too high and the tea didn't ferment properly. I had to throw away the scoby when we got home. Luckily, I had separated it from the main jar so I still have a healthy scoby to brew with.
A mostly successful trip, and we learned so much that the next one will be even better.

No comments:

Post a Comment